[Coco] yahoo groups

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 21 10:30:35 EDT 2007

On Saturday 21 April 2007, Manney wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>> fetchmail sucks from 3 accounts, and hands it off to procmail who applies
>> a few rules and feeds most of it through spamd, then looks at what spamd
>> thought of it and disposes of it accordingly.  The X-Originating-IP: is,
>> if its there at all, the lowest in the header which I'd assume would be
>> valid because all the intervening relays all add their fingerprints above
>> the previous on in the chain.  Or at least that's the theory.
>
>Gene, are you using Spam Assassin? I can't remember, but in an old post,
>I thought you said you were using it.
>
>The good thing about my host is that it runs all email through Spam
>Assassin before it gets to me if I ask it to. Takes the burden of a
>slow, CPU hogging PERL script off of my hands. :)

Yup, the same here.  But after the trip through spamassassin, the mail is
still available for procmail to further inspect.  And if the Spam-Level:
header line contains more than 10 stars, it goes straight to /dev/null from
procmail, which takes care of about 85% of it right there.  The kmail sorts
the remaining spam, over 5 stars, into folders that tell me whose server I
sucked it from, and the leftovers are then filtered into the correct folder.
Out of several hundred a day, 2 might make it into a regular folder.  The
rest I feed to spamassassin 3-4 times a week as bayes training.

But, as I said in a previous post, it seems the huge majority of the spam, 75%
or more is directed to me via some yahoo group I've never even heard of,
often by BCc:, and comes with a header that's the last line of the header
with any trace of an IP address in it, called X-Originating-IP: which
contains an address that resolves via whois, back to a small list of about 6
machines, all owned by yahoo.

That section of the header, often below the Subject: line, and is in this
case:
==========
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:38:19 +0100
 From: Manney <mannslists at invigorated.org>
 Subject: Re: [Coco] yahoo groups
 Sender: coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com
 To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>

Start of body
============
And there's 20 lines of header above that section that I didn't paste and that
basicly trace its path from pair.com to me through the vz server farm.

Now, that X-Originating-IP: 216.92.1.121
==========
[root at coyote ~]# whois 216.92.1.121
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]

OrgName:    pair Networks
OrgID:      PAIR
Address:    2403 Sidney St
Address:    Suite 510
City:       Pittsburgh
StateProv:  PA
PostalCode: 15232
Country:    US

NetRange:   216.92.0.0 - 216.92.255.255
CIDR:       216.92.0.0/16
NetName:    PAIRNET-BLK-3
NetHandle:  NET-216-92-0-0-1
Parent:     NET-216-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.PAIR.COM
NameServer: NS0.NS0.COM
Comment:    ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate:    1998-09-25
Updated:    2001-06-14

RTechHandle: KM383-ARIN
RTechName:   Martin, Kevin J.
RTechPhone:  +1-412-381-7247
RTechEmail:  sigma at pair.com

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE848-ARIN
OrgAbuseName:   Abuse Handling
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-412-381-7247
OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse at pair.com

OrgTechHandle: KM383-ARIN
OrgTechName:   Martin, Kevin J.
OrgTechPhone:  +1-412-381-7247
OrgTechEmail:  sigma at pair.com

Which in this case is pair.com which I believe is the parent address of the
maltedmedia alias.  Are you both co-hosted at pair.com?

But that describes how I go about tracing where a mail came from, and I'm
equally sure that in the case of spam, much of that is a flat out lie.  But
what else have we to go on?