[Coco] CPU speed in MIPS

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Fri Apr 20 05:47:28 EDT 2007

William Astle's break key explanation for why the CoCo 3 does worse in the speed
tests than the CoCo 2 sounds correct to me, but a test of this would be to do a
POKE &HADEB,&H39 on the CoCo 3, which bypasses the break key check entirely, and
see if the CoCo 3 then ran faster than the CoCo 2.  (This poke would also work
on the CoCo 2, but only if you put it into all-RAM mode first.)  Assuming the
explanation is correct, I'd point out that this comparison of the CoCo 3 vs.
CoCo 2 speed is quite misleading in suggesting that the CoCo 3 is significantly
slower than the CoCo 2 on account of the less efficient break key check.  The
obtained results are for a tight loop with short statements being repeated over
and over, so that the break key check time inserted between statements increases
execution time by a substantial percentage.  In a real program, the typical
statement's execution time would be more substantial compared to the break key
check time, so the percentage of slowdown from the break key checks would be
much less.

I'd assume that the reason for the slower break key check on the CoCo 3 (and in
Color Basic 1.2 compared to 1.1) is that it was discovered that quite a few
Basic programs developed under Color Basic 1.0 did not run correctly under Color
Basic 1.1 with its more efficient break key check.  These would be programs that
PEEKed at the keyboard rollover table to determine whether a key was being held
down, such as a game program controlled by the arrow keys.  The more efficient
break key check caused such programs to think the key was still down after it
was released, so the game would not function correctly.  That's why, I assume,
the less efficient check was also incorporated into Disk Basic 1.1, as William
mentions.  (A better solution would have been to publicize that a call to INKEY$
before peeking the rollover table fixes the problem.)

Art