[Coco] [OT] Z80 still being used in modern electronics

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 16 12:42:06 EDT 2007

A few years ago I was involved in some software development that ran on a
(new) device that had a Toshiba Z80 clone in it. IIRC it was only slightly
enhanced - we were using a standard Z80 compiler for it.

FWIW the developers shipped us a unit with ZIF sockets for the (flash ROMs).
It was a few weeks before they even had in-system-programmable ROMS - and
then it was _very_ _very_ slow... we used the ZIF sockets 2 or 3 times
before I coded a MAME driver for it and we did 99% of the development under
MAME! :O

Regards,