[Coco] slightly OT: networking with retro computers

Stephen Castello zootzoot at cfl.rr.com
Sun Apr 15 11:07:25 EDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 07:34:28 -0400 (EDT), Aaron Banerjee
<spam_proof at worldnet.att.net> had a flock of green cheek conures
squawk out:

>All,
>   I've just inherited a MacIntosh LC and an Apple IIe.  I'm trying to
>devise a way to get them on my network.  Has anyone ever done networking
>with ancient Apple computers?  The LC has a network port, but I'm assuming
>I'll be doing the same thing with the IIe as I do with my Coco -- use the
>serial port and have the Coco be a terminal.
>   Any ideas would be appreciated..
>                  - Aaron

For the LC, if there is an ethernet card in the pds slot it can be
hooked directly to your network.  If the card has a aaui port, you'll
need to get a transceiver to connect it.

The IIe can use Appletalk to the LC or you find a Gatorbox router to
connect it to a ethernet network.  There is an ethernet card available
for the apple ii. There have been discussions on networking in
comp.sys.apple2.  I haven't tried any networking with my IIgs.

Stephen