[Coco] ML Disk I/O examples?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 14 07:23:29 EDT 2007

Willard Goosey wrote:
><snip>
>
> Exactly.  The only *documented* disk I/O ROM routine is DSKCON -- read
> or write a given sector.

How can you say this when just about every line in the Disk Basic ROM is
commented in the Unravelled book?

> Yes, with the right magic you can hook into the BASIC routines
> themselves, but the nice assembly jump tables of a "real" disk OS like
> CP/M or TRS-DOS or NEWDOS/80 just aren't there.
>
> Willard

  It is true that The Basic ROMs are not designed with use by ml
programs as the main objective. It does take a good bit of care to use
the routines as part of your programming, but it is not that difficult.
  I have an example in the 3rd edition of Mary's newsletter. There's an
example on my web page with source code. Here is another example for
Disk Basic 1.1 that prints the directory of the current drive to the
screen. I's even a "one liner"!

start jmp $ccb2
       end  start