[Coco] Fw: Help floppy drive

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Thu Apr 12 19:28:48 EDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:59:53 -0600, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:

> And don't forget 2.88M.  I sort of understand why those never caught on,
> but not quite.  I guess it was that they came out at about the same time
> as CD-ROMs, and while 2.88M floppies halve the number of disks you need
> to ship, CD-ROM (at the time) reduced it to one.  But still... You often
> still see support for it in the BIOS.  But you never see the drives or
> disks.  I've seen the drives in IBM PS/1 and PS/2 systems a few times.
>
> And that's not even counting things like those oddball Superdrives that
> could put something like 32M on an ordinary 1.4M floppy...

Having used several 2.88 MB drives here at work, they were NOT very
reliable (at least, whatever brand we had wasn't... they tended to
scramble way more often than 720K or 1.44 MB (3.5" we are talking about
here).

I actually had a USB "superdrive" (read/wrote 720K, 1.44MB and special
20MB floppies) here at work, and it was actually more reliable than the
2.88 (probably because of the laser to guide the head). Later, I think
they got up to 120MB on a floppy, didn't they?

--
L. Curtis Boyle