[Coco] CoCoMax (was) Re: Introducing myself - Carlos Bragatto - Now: OT Amiga / CoCo musings

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Apr 7 11:48:30 EDT 2007

I have both an Amiga 2000 and a 1200 - and I didn't know there was a
connection between them and my CoCo. It seems the connection is a little
tenuous, but it is there, nonetheless.

For the following, realize that I am talking out my rear, but I am
pretty sure I am close with the information - correct me where I am
wrong, and don't flame me too hard.

I don't think the CoCo Max 3 palette swap trick and the Amiga HAM mode
have anything to do with each other, personally. For one, the HAM mode
was merely using the hardware (mainly the Copper, IIRC) to do something
it was designed for (but not documented well?), but in a unique way.
When an image was displayed in 4096-color HAM mode - it was a solid
image - no artifacts, no noise, nothing. Your only limitation was that
you couldn't do any animation (and I would be willing to bet, though I
never saw an example, that this limit could be overcome by someone
willing to do it - maybe a democoder). The "super HAM" mode on the 1200
and 4000 worked in the same way.

The palette swap trick on the CoCo 3, though, used a technique with the
hardware to do something it wasn't really designed for, let alone
documented. Somebody saw something in the hardware, a bulb lit up, and
they tried it - lo and behold it worked. But it had noise (that junk on
the left edge) - the video hardware wasn't designed to do this, unlike
the custom chips in the Amiga.

As far as whether it had been done earlier? Not sure here - when was
CoCo Max 3 first advertised? I have in my hands here the January 1987
issue of the Rainbow. On page 20 (continued on page 24) is an article by
Rick Adams and Dale Lear (are they on the list?) entitled "Color Chart
for the CoCo 3" - which is also a 64 color chart. Interestingly, on
pages 22-23 (in the "middle" if you will of the article) is a Colorware
CoCo Max II advertisement - with no mention of CoCo Max 3. So - did
these guys do this trick before CoCo Max 3 - and it was incorporated
into it. Or, did development (and idea) paths cross (ie, CoCo Max 3 was
in development at the time the article was released, but because it was
a proprietary product, Colorware wasn't going to release that special
code, and so someone else beat them to it)? I don't know. Does anyone?

Finally, at the end of the article, the authors write: "You may have
noticed this effect on some video games on the Atari VCS, which uses
this same technique to expand the number of available colors."

The "effect" they speak of is the "noise" on the left hand edge of the
screen. They are right - this was done on the Atari 2600/VCS, for
certain games. The only one I can think of off-hand that did this was
the Battlezone cartridge (which, IIRC, was released when the tiny
updated Atari 2600 system was released in the 1980s? - BTW, the
cartridge works great in my vintage 2600) - but there are probably a few
other examples.

So, obviously, this kind of a trick is pretty well known, and if you
have few enough colors and enough processing power, you can even get
motion on the screen. Hmm - makes me wonder if that is how Sock got some
of his amazing demos to run? I have always thought that there should be
a way to use the "64-color mode" (or some variant of it, maybe with less
colors) in a graphic demo or game, or something. Sock, can you shed any
light on this? I know your hi-color programs use a variant on the trick
(it, combined with some form of pixel offset/rotation trick like NTSC
uses to cut flicker and increase colors displayed)...

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale, Arizona

---

Message: 8