[Coco] Fest Weekend

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Thu Apr 5 18:01:31 EDT 2007

Rumor has it that James Hrubik may have mentioned these words:
>Ah, memories.  Back in '77-'80, when I was teaching in Beauval SK, we
>went one whole month when the temperature didn't get above -35C.

It's not usually that bad here, but it _can_ be - some years back we had
about 5 weeks straight at -25F or lower, usually lower... ;-)

>Humidity is everything, though.

Yup, that's for sure.

>   Got back here to Ohio, and the same
>down coat that kept me warm in the bush could not keep me warm at
>0F.  Dry cold is much easier to take than this lake effect stuff.
>The place I would NOT want to be would be the east side of Lake
>Michigan or Lake Huron, or UP Michigan.

The UP of Michigan is one heckuva lot drier than you'd think - it may seem
weird for being surrounded by water, but we've got some of the lowest
relative humidity levels of the state during the winter... I'd *much*
rather live here than Detroit in the winter.

>Gene, up there in the bush, the guys would get their dozers running
>(diesels) by building a fire under the oil pan.

My dad's a trucker, and until he purchased a 150,000 BTU diesel/kerosene
fired "salamander" we had the bottom of a 55-gallon drum we'd put a
charcoal fire in to warm up the bellypan of the ol' Cummins engine... both
methods took a long time, but the blower was a lot easier to manage.

[[ Oh, and Gene: Sault Ste. Marie's is in the Eastern UP, on the other side
of the peninsula.... Basically stay on I-75 north until everyone says "eh?"
and you'll be in da Soo. ;-) It's around 2 to 2.5 hours to Escanaba,
depending on how lucky you are speeding on US-2... so at least 3 hours away
by road from where you service. Google Maps says over 4 hours, but Google
maps doesn't know the right roads to take. ]]

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
  _±±_                          zmerch at 30below.com
(©||®)  If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
  _)(_   disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.