[Coco] Linux drive mounting

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Apr 25 00:20:36 EDT 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:

> Gene, I haven't gotten Samba working right yet.
>
> Do you think RH9 can mount a USB-connected external hard drive, say at
> 25GB FAT32?

I've used USB/Compact Flash adaptors and USB flash memory sticks on
RedHat 8.1, and 9.  I think it was a little more seamless in 9.  You may
have to "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash" or some such as root.  I think that
if you put an appropriate entry for it in /etc/fstab you can mount and
unmount it pretty seamlessly in Nautilus.
> I'm thinking about putting my Windows/Linux-compatible HLA projects on
> the external HD (or even a 1gb MemoryStick Pro card w/USB reader
> device - RCA MM6800) and just unplug it from the laptop and connect it
> to the Linux box to build the same source over there.
>
> There's another idea, to gz the project's root directory in Windows,
> upload it to a coco3.com directory, then download the gz from Linux
> Mozilla and unpack, or better yet, how about RH9 accessing a 1gb
> MemoryStick Pro card and I could move that back and forth for porting
> files back and forth for now?
>
> Btw, I downloaded the latest FireFox for Linux and it does not come up
> at all when you click the executable (firefox.bin?) file.  So, I'm
> using the stock Mozilla no-tabs version for playing around.

Ugh.  I ran into dependency hell when trying to install Firefox on
RH8.1.  Going to put something more recent on that machine eventually.

JCE