[Coco] Linux box needs ethernet connection to router/web/LAN

Manney mannslists at invigorated.org
Tue Apr 24 14:03:42 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2007, Manney wrote:
>> Manney wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting really pissed off with this thing now! (No comments about
>> Thunderbird, please! ;) )

> Then you have emil on a different subnet entirely and may have to jump through
> flaming hoops to get the routing to work.

It's been working out of the box. I just did a clean install of Ubuntu
7.04. I'm not too sure how many hoops are being jumped with this
configuration.

I just did a quick check on the Ubuntu forums, and this hosts file is
normal. I have asked why they have defaulted to something like this. I
was presented with this link to why Debian went this direction in 2005:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/06/msg00639.html> You need to
read the whole thread apparently. (I haven't gone through it all yet.) :)

> It is much preferred to have everything on the same subnet, and as part of my
> own security model, I don't use the common, everybodies routers default to it
> 192.168.1.1.  As none of the 192.168.x.x is ever transmitted across a router
> to the modem/wan port by any compliant router without the router invoking
> some iptables NAT and MASQUERADE rules, one can reset the 192.168.1.1 to
> 192.168.xx.1 where xx is the subdomain your network is on, but the xx, at
> least in a home network environment (depends on your MASK, usually
> 255.255.255.0) must match for all machines.  That gives you 253 usable
> addresses and that should be enough for most home networks.  If you need >254
> <510 addresses, then the mask becomes 255.255.240.0 etc etc.

If I had my own network, I would be doing pretty much the same thing.
But I haven't had my own network in 6 months. Maybe soon, if someone
wants to give me a job on this island... ;)

> Here I use an /etc/hosts file which contains the FQDN to address relations for
> all local machines, including some that are history.  Yours could resemble
> this in format:
> ================
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
> 192.168.xx.	domain	coyote.den
> 192.168.xx.1	router.coyote.den	router
> # this is my old, now shutdown firewall box
> # 192.168.xx.1	gene.coyote.den		gene
> # and my poor old amiga 2k if I ever resuscitate it
> 192.168.xx.2	amiga.coyote.den	amiga
> 192.168.xx.3	coyote.coyote.den	coyote
> 192.168.xx.4	shop.coyote.den		shop
> 192.168.xx.15	ipaq.coyote.den		ipaq
> 192.168.xx.101	wap11.coyote.den	wap11
> # my lappy comes in on dhcp so this is _usually_ correct
> 192.168.xx.104  diablo.coyote.den	diablo
>
> I hope this helps explain the network requirements, at least for this aspect
> of it, for those who are just now getting their feet wet.

If you read the thread that I linked to, you'll see why my machine
doesn't do the "127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost" bit. It was a
Debian (and thus Ubuntu) workaround for a problem they were having, it
seems, in a minority of installs.

-M.