[Coco] Commercial OS 9 system

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Apr 13 02:05:39 EDT 2007

On Friday 13 April 2007, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>Has this been posted previously?
>
>http://www.radisys.com/products/Microware-OS-9.cfm

Not that I'm aware of.  But several things stand out, starting with a total
lack of any indication of pricing level.

Next is the criteria they used to select the supposed competition to their
rtos claims, and without any recent (its dated 2002) hard data for that
either.  They compared only commercial offerings, whereas the rtai, as one
possible choice for a linux system and which I use to run my milling machine
installed on an otherwise stock kubuntu-6.06 LTS release, can be set to have
a fully determined action in as little as 10 microseconds from the time a
limit switch opens.  I have mine set for a 23 microsecond inner loop as the
cpu its running on is only a 1400mhz athlon.  There is no detectable lag in
keyboard control response at that setting and its still able to try and run
my steppers at 25x the maximum useable speed the amplifier and power supply
can run them at, which is about 18 to 20 ipm.  I don't think modern os9 could
run emc2.2 at anywhere near those rates.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)