[Coco] Help COCO-1 Keyboard

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sun Apr 8 22:22:35 EDT 2007

Joel Ewy wrote:
> John T Chasteen wrote:
>>
>> I also have a replacement keyboard but the connector is a flat ribbon on
>> the keyboard and the connector on the motherboard is a male connector.
>> Any
>> suggestions how I can solve this connection problem?
>>

> Ok, the gallery is down at CoCo3.com right now.  I'm sure Roger doesn't
> need any more pressure to get it back up.  But the timing is
> unfortunate, because I have a photo there showing how I solved this
> problem.  What I did was admittedly a little kludgy, but works well and
> doesn't do anything irreversible to the CoCo.  I had an extra CoCo 3
> keyboard left over after a repack project that made use of a Bob Puppo
> XT keyboard interface.  So I put it in my original CoCo 1.  The poor old
> chicklet keyboard in it had seen better days -- though it never was all
> that nice to type on in the first place.  :)
>
> I found a single-row IDC header socket in one of my junk boxes.  (Or
> maybe this was one of the original connectors for the cable that runs
> between the CoCo 1 keyboard and the Color Computer.  It's been a while.
> If so, then the hack does do a little damage to the CoCo, but still
> eliminates the need to unsolder connectors from the motherboard.)  I
> attached this to a short length of ribbon cable with a 34-pin card edge
> connector on one end, hacked off of an old floppy cable.  Only
> every-other conductor of the ribbon cable was needed -- the remainder
> were left unconnected.  Make sure you select the right ones.  Check it
> out with your Ohm meter if there's any uncertainty -- or even if there
> isn't.
>
> I plugged the header socket into the keyboard header pins on the CoCo's
> circuit board.  Then I inserted the flexible mylar PC from the CoCo 3's
> keyboard into the card edge connector.  Note that the edge connector
> selected is not one that has a directional key, otherwise the keyboard
> connector wouldn't slide in, since it lacks a corresponding notch.  The
> mylar flexible PC isn't thick enough to stay in the card edge connector,
> let alone make good contact.  So I took a band saw to an old PC board,
> and cut a section without any traces, just wide and deep enough to slide
> in the edge connector and force the CoCo 3's thin keyboard connector
> firmly against the spring contacts of the edge connector. (An
> appropriately cut piece of cardboard might also work.)  During this
> process, the flexible PC must be aligned to one side of the edge
> connector, because it is actually about 1 pin narrower than the 34-pin
> floppy connector.  But once the PCB cutout insert is in place, the CoCo
> 3 keyboard connector is pretty tightly secured in the right place.
>
> I don't know whether this exact hack will work for you or not, but it
> might give you some ideas.  When Roger gets the CoCo 3 forums back up,
> look through my gallery and find the picture I took.  It might make this
> lengthy explanation a little more clear.

	Yeah, I've done nearly the same thing, but, used a short piece of cable and 2
34 pin floppy connectors. A card-edge and a pin connector. (Think 5-1/4 and
3-1/2 connectors.) An old floppy cable (with both kinds of connectors has 2
sections like this on it. (one for each drive.) And yes, a piece of cardboard
works very well.

--
Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft