[Coco] Multipack info

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Sep 29 19:04:31 EDT 2006

On Friday 29 September 2006 18:03, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
>> This is the first I have heard of this. Must be that someone used the
>> reserved location for something they shouldn't have.......

Unk Bruce, I assume that somewhere, someone may have designed a cartridge
that used the $FF7F adress for something other than the MPI's slot
control.  But I've not found such a beast in my wanderings.

To clarify why the mpi needs to be fixed for the coco3, note that the mpi's
original address decoder also had a response to $FF9F writes, and in the
coco3, thats a gime register, so updating the gimes memory mapping during
a context switch (os9 only) fiddled with the slot latches in the MPI.  The
fix is to disable that false response with the 74LS10.  Or use a remapped
pal decoder chip in the earlier 3024's.

Note that while you've got the thing open, one should jumper all 4 sockets
together at pin 8, and then remove 3 of the 4 individual IRQ pullup
resistors along the front of the board.  This takes care of the infamous
'missed interrupts' when using the mpi.  They play all sorts of tricks
with your data when you are online with the coco, very effectively killing
zmodem.  So fix that while you are in there.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)