[Coco] Weird errors(DSK images.. NOT!!)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Sep 17 00:17:05 EDT 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 22:47, Mike Pepe wrote:
>Christopher Hawks wrote:
>> $: dd if=nos96809l2v030207coco3_40d_1.dsk of=/dev/fd0
>
>yeah, well, don't get me started on the above...
>
>I've tried 4 times over about as many years to get linux to format and
>write a CoCo disk, and it never works. fdutils sucks. the "support"
>sucks harder.
>
>omniflop on an xp box, works out of the box, and it's free.
>
>your mileage may vary.
>
>now that the rant is over, of course I'm talking about 3.5 inch low
>density disks. using a real 320k drive on xp probably won't work. (not
>that I was ever able to get it to work on linux either, grumble mutter
> spit)

I followed the linux instructions on the nitros9 web page today, and made 2
disks in a row that worked.  I ought to write that on the calendar...

The biggest problem I had was that somehow my copy of backup got fubared
and refused to quit trying to copy the disk at the end of the disk.
Replacing it with the one from the boot disk worked just fine.

>Actually the original suggestion of dumping a dsk image over the serial
>port to a CoCo and then writing it out on the actual hardware is
>actually a good one.

Yes, but first you have to have a working serial port on the coco, and to
my amazement, the bootfile that made those .dsk images didn't put a serial
descriptor or driver of any kind in the .dsk.  So one of the first things
I gotta do is transport known good drivers to the 2nd disks modules dir,
and figure out howto edit my.bl to incorporate them.  If that works, then
I'll build yet another disk with the tc^3 scsi drivers & descriptors  in
it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)