[Coco] Weird errors

Dean Leiber adit at 1stconnect.com
Tue Sep 12 16:46:30 EDT 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 2:29 PM, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:54:05 -0600, Leon Howell
> <puritan_2076 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Why do I get a "Syntax error -echo" almost(?) every time I start a
>> program
>> that was written in Basic-09? This (or something) caused the Icon
>> Editor to
>> crash, but most other programs can handle it.
>>
>> I tried to extract the archive reminder.ar with "ar -x
>> reminder.ar" and all I
>> got was "unknown compression method". How do I extract it? Ar can
>> read a
>> directory, and DeArc, UnArj, and LHA don't recognize it, so I'm
>> pretty shure
>> it is an Ar file.

You may have an AR 1.4 archive there.  AR 1.4 was an 'unauthorized'
update to ar after the source code to ar v1.3 was released. I don't
think any of the the 'legit' versions of ar will crack these
archives. Try and find Ar v1.4 and then give it a shot. I do believe
I have a copy around here somewhere (Just for such an occasion) if
you can't find it.

Dean