[Coco] www on coco

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 31 20:09:34 EST 2006

David Roper wrote:

> Ok, so lets put our reality hats on for a moment -
>
> What's stopping the coco from being linked in to an alread-established
> home network and actively using www and email?

Linking to an 'already-established home network' is no easier than
linking to the internet 'directly' - you need the same hardware and the
same protocol stacks to talk to your PC/router 3 feet away.

If you want to talk slip (via serial) that's OK, you don't need an
ethernet card or drivers but you still need a TCP/IP stack.

You'd be surprised how much memory is required for a WWW browser that
does little more than text and pictures. My 6MB 68030-based Amiga A1200
is on the bottom rung of browser-capability - let-alone a lowly 6809.

If you're talking a text-based email reader and lynx-based browser, then
you might be able to squeeze it in. But with so much of the web
orientated around PCs running Firefox (and some other crappy Micro$oft
browser) IMHO you're not going to get much out of the experience.

Regards,
Mark