[Coco] [OT] What newsreader do you use?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 16:54:47 EST 2006

In a message dated 10/31/06 4:46:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:

>So  do I Mike, but one has to consider that a newsserver big enough to be
>called one in today's world needs several terrabytes of storage, and  the
>last time I checked, 3.5 T1 lines fully  occupied.

Even with the alleged decline in netnews usage these days?  At least,  the
claim has been made that "nobody" (as in "nobody uses DOS or floppies or  ...")
uses Netnews any more.

>Only vz and such can
>afford that for what's expected to be a free  service.

Funny that even AOL"could not" afford it.  Never heard of vz, what  sort of
outfit is that?

>  Even vz has pretty
>well emasculated theirs to the point I've given up  trying to make anything
>useful out of knode, the kde linux  newsreader.  Not knodes fault, its
>just that only 25% of a given  thread actually gets to it.

ISTR that certain high-volume newsgroups never worked on AOL either.
Claimed to, you could subscribe (enable) them, but nothing was received on  them.

So Netnews is dying under its own weight?  Like the girl nobody asks  out cuz
she's too popular?  --Mike K.