[Coco] [OT] What newsreader do you use?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Oct 31 16:45:32 EST 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 15:47, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/31/06 3:45:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>stahta01 at netzero.com writes:
>>I am  trying to find a good open source newsreader program for under
>>Windows  XP. I am trying XPN right now.
>
>Another approach is to use a Web-site based newsreader -- either Yahoo or
>Google has one, I forget which.  It's slow and clunky to use, tho, due to
>constantly updating gobs of HTML code.  But it's the only alternative for
>  those of us whose ISPs no longer support Netnews/Usenet.  I really miss
>  it.  --Mike K.

So do I Mike, but one has to consider that a newsserver big enough to be
called one in todays world needs several terrabytes of storage, and the
last time I checked, 3.5 T1 lines fully occupied.  Only vz and such can
afford that for whats expected to be a free service.  Even vz has pretty
well emasculated theirs to the point I've given up trying to make anything
usefull out of knode, the kde linux newsreader.  Not knodes fault, its
just that only 25% of a given thread actually gets to it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)