[Coco] Sloppy decoding

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Oct 29 20:47:36 EST 2006

I downloaded 10 or 12 1.44M SLS images off of Delphi and installed them
on a '386 SX/40 with 16M RAM and 2 MFM hard drives.  They both started
out life as Seagate 40M HH drives, but one had a serious and audible
physical problem.  Figuring I had nothing to lose, I opened the case on
it and discovered that the R/W head on the top surface of the top
platter had come loose.  I removed the offending head, bent its arm up
out of the way, reassembled the drive, and told the formatter program it
had 3 heads instead of 4 -- which was quite true.  Probably if it had
been any other head this wouldn't have worked.  But the drive ran for
quite some time before I replaced both with an IDE drive.

I'm still doing "inadvisable" things with Linux, like installing it on
68K Macs.

JCE