[Coco] CoCo Questions

Dan Olson dano at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Oct 25 23:26:32 EDT 2006

> That is right as far as it goes. The upper 32k on a Coco1 or 2 is the Basic
> ROM area while the lower 32K is RAM. If the Coco has 64k RAM installed then
> it could be used as follows.
>
> It is perfectly legal to write an ml program to switch the system to all RAM
> mode and make use of the upper 32K of memory assuming 64k RAM is installed.
> However, Basic can't make use of this area. If you want to use the extra 32k
> for a Basic program, you would need to write some ml routines that access
> this area of memory, transfer data back and forth between low and high RAM,
> and then switch back to mixed RAM/ROM mode before returning control to Basic.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.  What I'm looking to do is
just the other way around, I've written a few Basic programs and lost all
of them due to a flaky cassette deck or tape.  So I've been thinking of
making a little program to save the memory contents, I didn't think there
was anything useful in the upper 32k to save, but wanted to be sure!
Thanks.  I don't hold any hope of finding a drive controller any time soon
and thought it'd be a fun project anyway :)

 	Dan