[Coco] OT: Anyone got snow over there?

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Sat Oct 14 00:51:08 EDT 2006

Rumor has it that jdaggett at gate.net may have mentioned these words:
>In the continental US, Key West. Otherwise Hawaii. Back in 1977, it did snow
>here in Tampa.

If the postscript can come first - *I was there.* OK, it was Jacksonville,
but I remember travelling there to visit my mom's sister &
brother-in-law[1] that winter and after all of my father's tales of it
being warm in Florida in the winter (I was 8), I was surprised to see snow
on the ground. The citrus harvest was devastated that year, IIRC.

=-=

And yes, for an ol' Yooper[2] like me, snow in October is by no means
unexpected. It's always said that: "If you're a yooper, you always plan
your childrens' Halloween costumes to fit either under or over a snow
suit." At least a third of the Halloweens during my childhood were under
40F; and saw snow. Yes, I was wearing a snow suit. ;-)

=-=

To be honest, during my adult lifetime, the "latest" I'd seen snow in my
region was 6 June, the "earliest" I've seen snow was 27 Aug. Frost is
*always* within the realm of possibility - I don't care what time of year
it is. I've always said if it snows on my birthday[3], I'm moving & never
coming back.

Yea, it snowed today. It snowed a few days ago, too. You're point? ;-)

=-=-=

Laterz,
"Merch"

[1] That would be Uncle Ed. At that time, he designed & built a TTL
computer that converted binary to decimal & displayed it on an 8-cell
7-segment LED display; and to his amazement, his 8-year-old nephew learned
how to run it. He showed me the circuit layout, and I was mesmerized. My
first taste of binary; it's what got me interested in computers.

[2] Yooper == person raised (if not born) in the Upper Peninsula (UP) of
Michigan. A region of the US where Canadian money is not only commonplace,
but sometimes accepted "at par." If you're thinking golf right now, you've
got a bit of travelling to do. Speaking of golf, if you haven't golfed with
frost on the ground, you haven't golfed!!! ;-)

[3] The time period in question is mid July.

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Bugs of a feather flock together."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers |           Russell Nelson