[Coco] Re: Look what's on eBay / CGP-115 split gears

Stan Blazejewski stanblaz at netspace.net.au
Fri Oct 13 03:14:10 EDT 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:38:43 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:36:50, Stan Blazejewski wrote:
>
>> I tried a simple fix that worked & has lasted for years on a number of these
>> printers.
>> The gears split because they are a press fit.  When removed from the shaft you
>> will notice that the split 'disappears' so I drilled out the hole in the gear so
>> that it was an 'interference' fit (slides on with no slack & won't grip the
>> shaft), roughed up the shaft a bit & glued on the gear with super glue.
>> Works a treat & will never give problems again.
>
>Very interesting idea!. And yes, I actually had a hard time seeing
>what the 'slippage' problem was about when I first inspected the
>printer mechanism: the gear split is super thin that can easily be
>overlooked by an untrained eye.
>
>Will try the hole drilling technique. Thanks for the tip!

You're right, the split is hard to see & the easier way to see the 'effects' is
that you'll notice that 2 of the teeth are further apart than the others (which
is why it binds & jams intermittently)

The drill & glue method has worked for me & a number of others I have done it
for.

Re: James's mention about the glue, I expect the combination of drilling &
roughing the shaft makes the glue simply 'key' the parts together and as there's
not a great deal of loading put on those parts, it manages to hang together.
I've never had one fail after this fix.

stanblaz at netspace.net.au
www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)