[Coco] Dynamic RAM Q

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Oct 9 11:56:50 EDT 2006

Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
> Hi CoCo/Dragon friends,
>
> This may be a little long and rambling, but bear with me.....
>
> I am currently working on a memory expansion board for the CoCo 1/2 &
> Dragon computers, that will hopefully allow me to have up to 1 MB of
> RAM, using an old PC 1MB SIMM, as I have a whole box of these. I
> currently have it emulating the Extra ram part of the Dragon Plus
> expansion system that gave the Dragon an extra 64K of ram that could be
> paged into the bottom 32K of the memory map. This seems to work ok.
>
> Currently I have the Z0..7 lines from the SAM connected to A0..7 on the
> SIMM, the additional A8..11 from the SIMM are connected to a CPLD, so
> that I can toggle the extra address lines as needed. Currently the logic
> in the CPLD consists of a latch that outputs extra values to these lines
>  to page in the extra RAM. The CPLD is also connected to the 6809
> Address & Data busses, as well as E,Q, R/W, WE etc. I will be adding a
> small SRAM to act as the DAT, as was done in the Dragon Beta prototype,
> I guess this is buried in the GIME in the CC3.
>
> My (possible) Problem, is that for the next stage to fully address the
> 1M, I will need to be able to put different values on A8 & 9, for Row
> and column. However the diagrams on all the data sheets I have seen seem
> to suggest that the address lines need to be setup before the RAS or CAS
> transition and remain stable afterwards.
>
> However if this is the case there will be a problem, as I will need to
> switch the lines between the RAS and CAS transitions, which could be a
> problem, as there does not seem to be any signal I could utilise to make
> this switch.
>
> The other thing I did notice from the data sheet for the chips on my
> SIMM (HYB511000), is that the setup time for RAS and CAS has a minimum
> of 0, the important thing seems to be the hold time, after the RAS or
> CAS transition, so it would seem from this that I could just us a
> combination of the RAS and CAS signals to decide which bits I need to
> output. So :-
>
> RAS    CAS    A8..9
> 1    1    high Z
> 0    1    Row bits
> 0    0    Col bits
> 1    0    Col bits.
>
> I have done a brief test where I output 00, for the row bits, and the
> values from my latch for the Col bits and this seems to work.
>
> I know some of the other people on this list have worked with things
> like this before, and may be able to shed some light on this.
>
> BTW thanks whoever it was that suggested using CAS before RAS to
> refresh, it has really made this thing MUCH easier, as I can just swap
> RAS and CAS when E and HS are both low, and fakeup RAS from Q (as CAS is
> suppressed by the SAM for refresh cycles).
>
> One final curious thing about this setup is this, if I turn the machine
> on, type a 2 line 10 Print "Phill was here "; 20 Goto 10 type program,
> [...]

Phill,

You know, this problem has already been solved.

In Rainbow magazine there was a project published for a 256k upgrade.
The upgrade involved a 74LS785 SAM and 256k memory chips (they need 256
column refresh, which the LS785 provides)

I don't recall the details but I don't believe there was anything more
exotic than a mux controlling the A9 line for the 41256 chips. Maybe
someone has the article handy in their collections and can provide us
the details.

I do remember the thing was controlled by doing reads of the SAM bits.

-Mike