fpo9 wasRe: [Coco] NitrOS-9 Team:

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Oct 8 14:28:49 EDT 2006

On 8 Oct 2006 at 2:17, Willard Goosey wrote:

> >From: jdaggett at gate.net
> >Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:16:08 -0400
>

> >From what I understand is that draft 8 was out around 1982/3 time
> >frame. Draft 10 was later. Also Draft 10 became the foundation for
> >IEEE854 which is Radix Independent. IEEE754 only concerns is with
> >binary floating point.
>
> Radix Independent?  Eek.  Sorry, for the 6809 we prefer floating-point
> formats whose operations can be implemented in less than 64K. ;-)

**************

Well the whole IEEE754 code plus can be done in less t han 8K of rom space for
the 6809. That includes single, double,  and extended precision and does add,
,subtract, multiply and divide. Also Square Roots and I also believe there is a
compare function. WHat more the 6839 rom does is BCD operation with a four
digit exponent and 15 digit decimal real.

> >> Ohh, you should upload the source to RTSI, then.
> >>
> >********************
> >
> >If I knew how, I would.
>
> What phase is the problem?  Maybe I can help.

**************

I have FTP tools, ,what I need to know is where to FTP them to and any login
and/or passwords.

> >My first guess would be that it was an relocatable macro
> >assembler/linker combo that ran on a 6800 or 6809 Exorcisor
> >system. One with those giant 8 inch floppies.
>
> All I know about the Exorcisor is that it existed.  So, let me guess,
> the fpo9 source is on 8" disk?  Or do you just have a printout or
> something like that?
>
> Willard

The FP09(MC6839) source code that I have is zipped into a file. The Exorcisor is
an old system that Motorola developed in the 70's. Eight inch drives were the
norm then. They were big and noisy. I have worked with them before. The rule of
thumb was save your work often and keep multiple backups. The drives were not
as reliable as modern floppy drives.

james