[Coco] MC6809 Inards

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Oct 4 14:25:36 EDT 2006

Mike

I do remember Nick and John's discussions on who the original chip designer
was. My point is, since he designed the chip, most likely any inventions that
would have come about from the design of this chip would more than likely be
assigned to Tandy/Radio Sh ack and not to the inventor. Only the inventor would
have his name on any patents as inventor and not the owner of the patent. That is
the right of the assignee.

>From the markings on the 1987 date code chips the manufacturer obviously was
VLSI. They are still in business. I have not searched patents for them yet. 1986
part appears to be made by VTI. Looks to be a Korean Company that eiher
packaged it or fabricated the part. Both date codes due have Tandy Copyright
labeling on the chips. So Tandy would own a copyright of some form of
information regarding the chip. I am not sure any search will reveal any deep
intricate details of the chip.But worth a shot.

james