[Color Computer] [Coco] CoCo shots in Dutch newspaper video on retro-gaming!

Rick R. mygroupmail at tds.net
Thu Oct 26 02:08:02 EDT 2006

Hi,  all of this talk about the speed of the Coco's cassette i-face.  One idea I've been kicking around was taking all of my
programs (basic and bin files) and saving them (CSAVE or CSAVEM) on a CD.  Here's the idea:

The programs would be recorded/saved as an "audio file" (mp3) on your pc (by connecting cass out on coco to line input of
sound card).

The simplest method would be to save each program as a MONO mp3 file.  Because the "audio" (data - as if it was recorded on
cass. tape) is Mono, the file size for a mono mp3 would be very small.  If you average the time it takes to load a good size
program at 3 minutes, an mp3 at 3 min. would be about 1.5 megs (depending on the bit rate you record the mp3s
at). Theoretically you could save about 466 programs on 1 cd.  Just play it back on any cd player that can play mp3s (walkman,
dvd player, etc.).  Or if you have a 128meg mp3 player, you could save about 85 programs on one 128mb memory card.  Naming
the file would be just naming a music file (name it whatever you want).

Another method would be to make an audio cd where you would have 2 seperate "strings" of data/programs (one on the left
channel and one on the right) and save the 2 "strings" as 1 long stereo mp3.  You could store about 53 programs per CD.  Burning an audio cd reqires more steps (which requires audio editing software).  The advantage of having this kind of disk is that it will
play on anything that plays audio cd-r's (older walkman, home cd player, boombox, etc.).  You could go further by giving track
numbers to each individual program.

The only disadvantage to either of the two methods is that you have no motor conrol - in other words, you would have to stop
the player after each program finishes loading.  Not a bad trade off for mass storage.