[Coco] MC6809 Inards

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Oct 4 11:23:47 EDT 2006

> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 07:31:23 -0400
> From: jdaggett at gate.net
> Subject: Re: [Coco] MC6809 Inards
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> Steve
>
> I have looked for all patents since 1976 that would have been assigned to Tandy
> or Radio Shack and have found nothing. That means the GIME chip had nothing
> that was patentable or that the assignee is under a different company or an
> individual.
>

> Right now I have concentrated on the MC6809 and finding all related patents. It
> has been interesting reseach.

This really does sound interesting. I wonder if maybe Microware or
Motorola may be listed for the GIME patent? I know it was Microware
which had (and gave to "us" - I can't remember who originally obtained
it) what we think is a CoCo 3 prototype. There wasn't a GIME on it, and
it was surmised that the logic of the GIME was done on this prototype in
more discrete parts. Maybe the prototype could yield clues as to the
manufacturer/designer of the GIME?

To be honest, I don't think I have ever seen an image of the GIME, nor
have I ever looked at my own. Does the chip itself - the labeling - give
any clue as to its manufacturer?

Just my random thoughts...

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona