[Coco] [Color Computer] Nitros9 Boot file

Jim Hickle jlhickle at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 08:44:26 EST 2006

I use the scripts from the current distribution.
I made working boot disks in this order:
1. unmodified boot
2. added modules for TC^3 and drive /s0
3. added /s4
4. added TC^3 clock
5. added printer
6. added RS-232 pack

Problems started when tried to add RAM disk.  Never successfully used the one that came with NitrOS9.
7. added Dennis Skala's RAM disk that I bought years ago.  Had to move driver & descriptor around in bootlist maybe 4 times before could successfully boot.
8. tried adding CDF modules. Tried moving RAM disk modules then took them out.
Last item reported on boot is: i2xo
Six attempts to reboot:
1. no furthur activity
2. screen goes blank
3. black & white checkerboard with green border
4. "Failed" message
5 & 6. screen filled with random text
7. screen of random text, then black border, white screen with a few blue & black vertical stripes and loss of vertical sync.

Have to run off to work now, but will get ident of working and not working os9boot files.

Thank you!
jim hickle

Mark Marlette <mark at cloud9tech.com> wrote: Jim,

If you are using the scripts from the current NitrOS-9 distribution,
they work.

First try to build and unmodified boot as distributed. If that doesn't
work then you have hardware problem(s).

The current version of NitrOS-9 builds a DSDD distribution by default,
so a FD-501 won't cut it.

All the drive systems that I sell at Cloud-9 leave as DSDD drives. You
can switch the modules and get back to the SSDD but this leaves little
to no space left on a system boot disk.

If you can build, then copy the bootlist, modify the script to point
to your new bootlist and edit your bootlist as David has indicated.

Alot of people like to mod their boots on the fly and then it becomes
a major task when you update the OS because they forget what they did
or added or where it was at. The scripts and bootlists are the way to
go. More work upfront but the benefits are huge down the road......

Mark
www.cloud9tech.com

Quoting Jim Hickle :