[Coco] Dos ROMS.

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 19 17:17:12 EST 2006

Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just implementing multiple DOS rom support in Mess, I have it
> working correctly for the Dragon, so that now you can select which of
> the following dos roms you want to use : DragonDos 1.0, SuperDos E6,
> Cumana Dos, Eurohard DragonDos 4.0 or DosPlus, you can also elect to
> have no dos rom loaded, so that the machine may be booted as cassette only.
>
> I would like to implement the same for the CoCo, and have a couple of
> questions.
>
> 1) I know there was a 1.0 version of RS-DOS, and that Mess uses RS-DOS
> 1.1, is the 1.0 rom available anywhere ?

It has been my understanding that MESS will use for the coco2 and up
emulation anything with the name disk11.rom. That is not pretty and it
means renaming files whenever you want to switch to a different version
of DOS, but it works.

The 1.0 ROM is available (probably on the Coco3 site) and I can supply a
copy if needed.

> 2) Where there other doses, available also that where compatible with
> the standard RS-DOS cart ?

Several were available usually as patches to DOS1.0 or 1.1. They worked
best when loaded over the Tandy DOS, copied to lower RAM, and then
burned to an EPROM.

ADOS and ADOS3 has been discussed here lately. I use my own version of
RGBDOS (used with the Ken-Ton hard drive system) and Cloud-9 has their
version called HDBDOS. There were others.