[Color Computer] Re:[coco] www on coco

George's Coco Address yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Wed Nov 8 22:55:11 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:55 AM
Subject: CoCo Browser/Laptop

> George, I wish I had an answer for the CoCo browser deal, but don't. I
> used my CoCo for e-mail right until the end. I was a Delphi member and
> used their e-mail service, which was still text based in the mid 90s. I
> ran my CoCo fro e-mail, checkbook balancing, mailing list database for
> "the world of 68' micros" (which I published at the time), testing CoCo
> programs people sent in, occasional editing, and copying discs. Everything
> else I did on a PC -- some internet web browsing when graphics first
> started appearing, and producing the magazine with PageMaker 4.0. I
> finally packed the CoCo up around 96 or 97. I knew I wouldn't have time
> for it, so I sold my two custom jobs to someone who would.

<snip>
> --
> Frank Swygert

Frank(and all),

  My desire for sending and receiving email from a coco outweighs the need
for a laptop. It's a passion.

  Meanwhile, I refuse to believe that a coco "Can't" do email on the
internet. No one has ever explained exactly why it can't, other than
something about "stacks" requiring too much memory.
  Since the internet and TCP/IP works on packets, what's the big deal? We
just use a hard drive/floppy/ramdisk to make memory. The "internet" will
wait for the next packet or a request for a packet and process it normally.
 I'm ignorant in this part, but logic tells me that packets are packets and
a coco can send and receive packets.

 Packets are sent to the intended modern PC at a rate that the modems can
handle. If a coco is on a slow modem(9600), then the IP can provide for that
and wait for the next request for a packet.

  I am constantly sending and receiving large files between my coco and this
PC at 9600 baud using Xmodem and Ymodem, depending on the file types.  These
machines do it flawlessly and I can't see the problem. They use PACKETS!.

 If anyone can explain exactly why a coco can't do this email thing then,
possibly, I will understand. Simply claiming it can't is not good enough.

  Please..... I'm not angry. I just want the TRUTH!

  Since I started work at my new job at a machine shop, I've discovered that
they LOVE me because I am catching on and today, I actually wrote a program
to build a part.  I only made a few mistakes and my mentor showed me what I
did.
 He  indicated that he was impressed that I did so well.

 So why can't I get a handle as to why a coco can't do eMail?

 "If you think you can't then, you can't. If you didn't know you can't then,
you can"  ME!

BTW. .

 CNC machines are really COOL!!!!  Gene Heskett was right. Modern software
and hardware is where it's at. If I needed to make a few hundred parts, then
this is the way.
 However, I do "One Off" parts at home, so my coco is the way to go with
CNC. I can wait(and watch) until the product is done. My little dohicky(CNC
center) is good to .0005/inch. Good enough for me..... as long as I can
figure the math.

George