[Coco] Trouble with OmniFlop

Alex Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Tue May 30 01:06:57 EDT 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Sounds like a device that in the long run, fell by the wayside.
> From what I think I know about IEEE-488, fitting that to a floppy
> as an interface would have been a bit of a surgical experiment?
> Isn't this another name for GPIB?, whose signals are much higher
> powered than the usual TTL used for floppies.  Or am I confused
> about its genesis?

GPIB is basically the same as HP-IB and IEEE-488.  Its use lasted for
a fair while in certain scientific instruments (new devices were
being produced into at least the mid '90s).  I think it generally
used +5v signaling due to some IEEE-488 to Centronics parallel
adapters that I have and the way the interface is implemented in
Osborne computers.