[Coco] Coco3 in a box

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sat May 27 11:10:53 EDT 2006

Robert Emery wrote:
> I wrote this article on the subject...
> http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob/articles/dc_power/cc3dcmod.htm
>
> The last 2 pictures should explain it pretty well, basically you just connect ground
> and+12vdc to pins 2 and 3 respectively where the transformer used to plug in,
> then shunt capacitor C62 as shown.
>
> Bob

Bob,

Yes, that would be an easy way to do it, especially if you only have a
12V supply.

However, I don't see the point of re-using the CoCo 3's marginal 5V
supply when (as it is in this case) a much higher quality one is
available. Plus you don't have to deal with all that waste heat
generated by the CoCo 3's power pass transistor.

I did this with Glenn VDB's 1M CoCo 3 which I repacked back into a CoCo
3 case with an external switching brick supply, and it worked nicely and
ran really cool without that internal 5V regulation going on.

-Mike