[Coco] CoCo and SATA/USB drives.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri May 26 08:23:31 EDT 2006

Jim

Using the Coco as a client and a PC as a server is not all that bad of an idea.
Whether the connection is via TCP/IP or via Drivewire really makes no major
differences.

My only concerns is why the need  for such a large storage capacity for the COCO
that SATA provides? Outside the RAID capabilities and the scarcity of sub 10 Gig
drives, 300GB of storage is it really needed? I have a 250 Gig hard drive on my PC
and half of that drive is still unpartitioned. Between the 80 Gig and the 127 Gig
partition on the 250 Gig drive I still have 124 Gig of free space.  For the current
Coco a 10Gig is probably more than enough.

WIth many of the issues of transferring programs from the PC/MAC to the COCO,
Drivewire seems to be the best solution to date. ONly thing that I could see that
maybe used is the newer Flash drives. This would require that the COCO have
some form of USB or CF card to transfer data other than floppies. A utility to extract
disk images on the COCO side would also be nice if that does not already exist.

I still believe that some partial implementation of USB Spec 1.1 can be done. Flash
drives are becoming cheap enough that it is quite tempting to look into that means
of data storage and transfer. 128 MB flash drives are in the sub $30 range now.

just some thoughts

james