[Coco] CoCo and SATA/USB drives.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed May 24 15:49:06 EDT 2006

Jim

Floppy drives are dinosaurs used on older version of Windows and other vintage
OSes. USB and Flash drives are vastly more preferable with Modern OSes. 256 MB
flash drives are now u nder $50 and can hold far more than a single floppy. No
moving parts and better data retention. Easier to move files from one computer to
another. The USB floppy is the only floppy that is worth keeping on  a system.

SATA and USB 2.0 is worthless on the current speed of the COCO unless the USB
tasks are off loaded to a card that contains all the necessary circuitry to handle
USB.  All the COCO has to do is service an interrupt and  do load and stores.
Problem is any FIFO used in the external circuitry will have to pause quite often to
allow the COCO to clear the FIFO. This will destroy any speed advantage of USB
2.0 transfer. USB 1.1 is more than enough speed for the COCO. I would not
conisder USB 2.0.

james