[Coco] RGBDOS on MESS v0.105

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue May 23 10:00:02 EDT 2006

Michael Wayne Harwood wrote:
> I am running Mess v0.105 under Linux and I am not really sure how to
> start.  The Coco3 roms are in a .zip file and trying to replace the Disk
> rom with the provided RGBDOS DISK.rom doesn't work - I get an error that
> Mess doesn't recognize the ROM.  Could you treat me like a complete novice
> and provide step-by-step instructions on how to use RGBDOS with Mess???
>
> Regards,
> Michael Harwood
>

>>Specify your problems in detail.

Well there is a step by step procedure on my web site in the download
section http://home.att.net/~robert.gault/Coco/Downloads/Downloads.htm
The main problem may be that you are not familiar enough with MESS.

MESS compares ROM checksums against a master list which, as you might
expect, does not contain third party ROMs. Nevertheless, MESS will start
even though it complains. You can tell MESS to skip the warnings as part
of the MESS configuration. However, and it is a big however, MESS v0.105
has significant errors and you should probably revert to an earlier
version and wait for v0.106.

  The ROMs (when zipped) should be placed in the BIOS directory. If you
want to unzip them, the ROMs should be placed in BIOS sub-directories
having the names of the corresponding systems. For example, the Coco3
ROMs would be placed in BIOS/coco3 or BIOS/coco3h if you want the 6309
emulation. The ROMs will be coco3.rom and disk11.rom. This will be true
for RGBDOS as well, so the RGBDOS ROMM must be renamed.
  The ROM images are not the same as those used for the JVC emulator.
MESS uses an exact copy of the ROMs and does not need a 2 byte header
indication the loading address. Make sure your ROM images conform.

When the above conditions are met, you should not be having problems.