[Coco] Re: Re: FD-502 controller problem

Charlie chazbeenhad at hotmail.com
Fri May 19 14:17:35 EDT 2006

"Phill Harvey-Smith"
<afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:446E0815.4040201 at aurigae.demon.co.uk...
> Mike Pepe wrote:
> > Charlie wrote:
> >> Gene and Phil, Thank you for the replies!
>
> Phill :)

Sorry Phill :-)

> > If not
> > maybe the big 373 latch chip has a bad output for drive 0's select line.

I swapped the Disk basic ROM chip from my Disto (it says 6ms on it, I dont
know what that means)
to the 502 controller and that didn't help. Same things were happening.

Would the length of the cable to the drives matter? I do have a very long
cable. Like I said before, with the Disto SCII
There is never a problem. Its just that with no multipak the Disto sticks
out way too far from the side of the CoCo3.
The person who gave me the 502 controller seems to remember it having this
trouble with his coco system as well.

> But wouldn't a bad drive select affect reading too ? I thought Charlie
> said that it would load games and stuff ok.
>
> Phill.

Well I ran the official Radio Shack CoCo3 Demo for hours and hours using the
502 controller with no troubles.
That demo loads from disk between every scene. Come to think of it. After I
reset the coco after running the demo
for a long time it did DSKINI 0 once just fine. Then it failed again
everytime after.

-Charlie