[Color Computer] [Coco] new CoCo games

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Sun May 14 14:32:19 EDT 2006

At 01:23 PM 5/14/2006, you wrote:
> >This is exactly what I'm talking about.  I have the source to some of
> >those neat Bob Withers' games but not the assembler he used, so there
>
>What assembler was it anyway?  I didn't even look to see if it said.
>It looked a lot like Macro80c which is what I had.  Still have the
>disks, docs and everything.  And they still worked last year.
>It was pretty powerfull.  Sadly I moved on to the Amiga within months
>of buying it and it had little use.

I think that is the assembler, yes, but I was kinda hoping to find the
Windows version so I can use it with my IDEs.  I mean, Boisy and his posse
managed to somehow get the OS-9 Level II RMA and RLink system ported to
Windows (which is included in the Rainbow IDE), so I would hope some source
code for Macro-80 would be floating around out there somewhere so we could
try to port it as well.

> >seems to be a lot of work involved in translating and assembling the
> > game.
>
>I didn't think it looked bad.  It used @ for local lables, can declare
>multiple repeating bytes and I didn't care for the formatting but
>other than that I saw nothing very strange.

Well, I tried to get as much as I could in my CCASM cross assembler so that
I could assemble Bob's source code, but I'm sure I have lots more to
add.  The local labels and repeating constants are already supported.  In
fact, CCASM can declare a local label as long as there is a @ anywhere in
the name, not just at the end or at the beginning.  It seems like I've seen
source code that uses either the prefix or suffix method of local labeling.

Also, we probably already have the game itself (Calixo Island?) in binary
runable form, so the idea here would be to create a brand new game using
his main routines.  Maybe some kind of template can be designed so that
other authors could write their own graphics adventure without having to
start from scratch.

--
Roger Taylor