Nitros9 for the masses (was) Re: [Coco] COCO4 Emulator

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Sun May 7 18:19:15 EDT 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 3:29 PM, James Hrubik wrote:

> Yup, converts one by one.  BUT -- we need to hear from the
> important people on this -- the ones who maintain Nitros9.  Curtis,
> Boisy -- what is YOUR opinion regarding a port of Nitros9 to the
> Intel chipset, ala Linux?

Porting NitrOS-9 to an x86 would be a major undertaking.  So much of
what NitrOS-9 is, is because it welds itself to the 6809/6309:
registers, memory footprint, etc.  I just can't see it being done in
a reasonable amount of time, nor could I see it being done without
some major design changes and concessions to the OS itself.

If one wanted to truly write a NitrOS-9 type OS for x86, it could be
done, but in some higher level language such as C.  That said, I
don't see how this is anything remotely close to a CoCo 4.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the CoCo 4 is a myth.  In
my opinion, the only organization that could have ever put out such a
thing as a CoCo 4 would have been Tandy, and they are defunct.  The
best we can hope for is a CoCo 3+ (ala the SuperBoard).

What has piqued my interest of late is getting the 6809 on other
computer systems that were conventionally 6502 based, like the Atari
XEGS.  A colleague of mine is working on this and I think that would
open up some interesting avenues for NitrOS-9.  It's not a CoCo 4,
per see, but perhaps another avenue to get other retrocomputers into
our fold.

Boisy