Nitros9 for the masses (was) Re: [Coco] COCO4 Emulator

David L. Foreman davelf11 at cox.net
Sun May 7 17:51:49 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hogerhuis" <jhoger at gmail.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: Nitros9 for the masses (was) Re: [Coco] COCO4 Emulator

Actually a native OS-9 re-written from the ground up might be a niche,
commercially viable product, allowing portability for existing OS-9
apps to new hardware. I guess os9exec on sourceforge is about that.

I doubt any of the NitrOS-9 code could be used for that without
attracting some unwanted attention from the OS-9 copyright holders.
AFAIK it was not a clean-room re-implementation.

That said I don't see the point. Such a version of OS-9 would be
native X86. None of the old software would run without a recompile.
OS-9 is an embedded OS with Unix in-mind. On other than embedded
systems you might as well run a Unix clone like Linux or a *BSD. At
least you can still get the "hobbyist" feel from some distros.

-- John.

Isn't it all ready out there, called OS-9000, something like that for X86.

Here is one Google hit.
Re: OS9000 and OS9 - still alive and kicking?
... Back then, OS9000 was the "OS9" for x86 if I remember correctly. There
is > even some old OS9000 products floating around in my vicinity ...
www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.os.os9/messages/17145.html - 11k -
Cached - More from this site - Save

Dave F.