[Coco] CoCo Fest video and chat

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Mon May 1 22:31:15 EDT 2006

Alas I forget his name. If we're thinking about the same person he is
in fact from the Calgary. Again I forget if he was from Calgery itself
or the sorounding area. If it took him three days to get to the fest he
was doing some sight seeing along the way. I saw him as he was leaving
and he mentioned that he starting on a twelve hour drive home. I'm going
to have to admit my ignorance of Canadian geography and suggest that there
may be the possibility of some car pooling last year.

One of the groups that I'm a member of is a user group for HP programable
calculators. Back in it's heyday there were at times two and three conferences
a year here in the US and a couple outside of the US. ( I do think it's interesting
both were in their peak at about the same time. ) I also remember on a couple
of occasions a group of us heading out in a van for a conference in Washington
state. Four of us left Chicago and we picked up another six on the way.
The van was a business cargo van with two seat up front and a couple of planks
set on milk crates for us to sit on. I spent two days each way sitting on a
plank in the back of a van!! There was many an hour spent in a group with
calculator in hand working on different programs. Were there's a will there's a
way.

That said I think we may want to shift the tone towards encouraging people to make
the effort to travel to the fest next year and the years after that. I don't
think it's an accident that when people come for the first time they tend to
come back again and again. This year I was speaking to one of the vendors as I
was buying a book they were selling. She made the comment that we came to relive
memories. I have very found memories of programming and working with my Coco
back when it was a "modern" computer. The days at work spent programming a Coco
were so of the best days of my career and will never forget. What we need to do
is talk about the reasons to go to a coco fest and the good times had there. I
don't think the argument of "if you don't spend a lot of money and go to a cocofest
there won't be anymore" is going to get a lot of people to go. Maybe we should
use the argument "if you liked what you saw on the fest cam you'll love being there
in person so much that you'll keep coming back year after year".

Frank

PS - You were expecting flames. Remember?? :-)