[Coco] Re: CoCo video? (CoCo4)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Mar 4 19:19:51 EST 2006

Xilinx Webpack 8.1 is 778 MBs uncompressed. Another 1.4 MBs for
the update file and the IP update is another 207 MBs compressed.

Yes writing code for CPDL/FPGA is now easier than ever. In most
applications in industry you almost don't need to know anything
about hardware. Verilog is so much like C that a software engineer
can cut and paste black box libraries and wire them up and they
have an IC. NO real knowledge of how the internals work. Just that
a signal in generates the desired signal out. Also with 5 million gate
equivalent FPGAs there is also no real need to design code that
generates compact hardware. As long as it meets the desired
specification that is good enough.

I am somewhat old fashion. I like to see and visualize the actual
gate level of the IC and not just black box hook up. Guess that the
hardware engineer in me. Yeah it is slower but I like to generate as
small and compact as possible. Code for FPGAs is now becoming a
lot like software from Bill the Borg. IF it don't fit just go out and buy
a bigger FPGA. For hobby use those big FPGAs approach $1000+
in single unit pricing and that is way out of my league.

james