[Coco] Static RAM in CoCo3?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Jun 21 14:09:30 EDT 2006

Roger

An HCT373A and some glue logic to use the the RAS and maybe the CAS lines to
generate an Adress Strobe signal to aid in demultiplexing the address from the Z-
Bus.

You have to configure the SRAM in 256Kx16 for a 512K block. That would require 4
128Kx8 SRAMs. At least on the surface it really does not look to be all that difiicult
a task to do.

You don't need dual porrt ram. Besides 512K bytes of dual port ram would be a very
expensive endeavor.

As for drams they are really not analog.  Drams use a method of charge storage
and trransfer. The refresh cycle is needed to maintain charge that is stored in a
memory cell. A typical memory cell in a dram is a mos pn junction that forms a
capacitor and a single switched transistor. While srams require a minimum of at
least four transitors to form a cell. Drams offer higher denisty and speed over that of
srams mainly due to the increased transistor count. The SRAM is more analogous
to a latch and charge is not stored like that of a dram memory.

A 512K or even a 2M memory of SRAM on a COco would definitely be considerably
lower power consumption off of the power supply. At rest SRAMs draw far less
current than DRAMS.

james