[Coco] rainbow ide vs. portal 9

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Sun Jun 18 11:17:39 EDT 2006

At 06:57 PM 6/17/2006, you wrote:
>what's the difference between rainbow ide and portal 9 ide ?
>
>Woodzy
>http://www.rtdos.com

Jeff,

Portal-9 came first and supports 6809/6309/CoCo programming.  It uses my
CCASM assembler and Chet Simpson's CASM assembler, both giving full 6809
and 6309 support and EDTASM compatibility.  The IDE is powerful but you
can't add other assemblers or launch any other emulators other than what's
in the left side panel menu.

I wanted to expand into the other vintage CPUs so I advanced on Portal-9
and called this the Rainbow IDE.  Rainbow supports practically all systems
found in the M.E.S.S. emulator since you can add your own cross assemblers,
build ROMs or virtual disks, and then launch into the target system to test
your programs.

Rainbow can do everything Portal-9 can but both are great CoCo IDEs.  I
highly suggest considering Rainbow since the growth of Portal-9 has pretty
much reached its limit, while Rainbow will keep growing and being improved
"forever".

www.rainbowide.com

--
Roger Taylor