[Coco] GShell 1.26 anoyance

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 19 15:07:02 EST 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:49:21 -0600, Leon Howell <puritan_2076 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>>      Are you running the 6809 or the 6309 version?
>
> 6809 for now, but I think I have decided to go 6309 soon.
>
>>      I believe, that, in both the 6809 and 6309 versions of GShell 1.26,
>> you can set the individual colors of the 1st 4 palettes in Multi-Vue's
>> environment file with version 1.26 (GSHPAL0= through GSHPAL3=), if that
>> is
>> enough to fix your problem. This way, it leaves the system pallette
>> alone
>> for any regular programs, instead of forcing the Gshell settings to be
>> system wide.
>>
> Wouldn't that still have different background colors for the desktop and
> icon?

     Yes, as I was trying to get a consistency of dark to light values so
that the 3D look would work with everybody (if you have not seen the 6309
version, you can see a screenshot of it here:
http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/Gshell126.gif
The problem with the existing way is that there is/was no consistency of
colors between apps, so that what one program (or icon, for that matter)
was presuming was a light color, may have been a dark color for somebody
else. That's when some icons would look good, others not... unless you
stuck to the stock colors that OS9 boots with, which were pretty ugly (in
my opinion) - the blue, white, black and green. I was (at one time) going
to write a utility to allow one to swap the colors of the icon files
(under user control), so that one could remap them to better suit the new
color scheme, but I never did get around to that before my free time
disappeared. It wouldn't be too hard to do, though.

L. Curtis Boyle