[Coco] GShell 1.26 anoyance

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 13 17:50:13 EST 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:38:01 -0600, Leon Howell <puritan_2076 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> GShell 1.26 works perfectly and has all the features a gui should (but
> I'm
> shure we can think of a few more to include in the next version), but it
> also
> has an iritating little "feature" - I wouldn't really call it a bug -
> that I
> would like to change.
>
> In all previous versions, the background color of the icons (white if
> you use
> Tandy's standard colors like I do) is the same as the background color
> of the
> desktop. In version 1.26, the desktop has a black background but the
> icons are
> still white. I don't like it that way. The icons all look like little
> white
> squares on a black background.
>
> I know this can be changed because I've done it twice on accident. I had
> two
> games running and closed one or both of them, and when I went back to
> GShell,
> the icons, with their white background, blended nicely with the white
> desktop.
> No ugly black border around everything. but the "system" icons (folders,
> generic data and program files) were on a black square! Unfortunately
> something was messed up and the computer crashed a minute later.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to patch or otherwize permanently fix GShell so
> the all
> the icons can be displayed on a matching white background, without
> crashing?

     Are you running the 6809 or the 6309 version? The 6309 version had
some specific color changes to enhance (and make predicitable) the 3D look
that NitrOS9 version 2 had in Windint (basically, that colors 0-3 should
be orderd in order of darkest to brightest).
     I believe, that, in both the 6809 and 6309 versions of GShell 1.26,
you can set the individual colors of the 1st 4 palettes in Multi-Vue's
environment file with version 1.26 (GSHPAL0= through GSHPAL3=), if that is
enough to fix your problem. This way, it leaves the system pallette alone
for any regular programs, instead of forcing the Gshell settings to be
system wide.

--
L. Curtis Boyle