[Coco] Forums showing Hacked by orB message

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Sat Dec 2 23:57:39 EST 2006

Rick, with all respect, I never referred to you in my
message(s).   Slander involves calling a person out by pointing or
use of their name, but a person shouldn't walk up while I'm referring
to someone else and automatically assume they are the guilty one.  :)

I'm also baffled at your comment about why you understand how I would
have enemies.  ??  I can't think of any reason why, nor can I think
of any enemies I have, online or off.   I easily get along with
everybody and have no enemies unless you are it.  I do nothing but
give to the CoCo community but I'm not running a retail business
where I give guaranteed refunds like Wal-Mart after weeks of use and
hacking of my software.

I fully understand your complaint but I can't think of anybody who
gives refunds on software that has been already extended to 4 of your
machines by the granting of 4 separate software keys that I do think
I e-mailed you on request, or by generosity.  My limit is usually 2
keys with the 2nd one by request only.  You demanded an endless
number of registration keys, which is technically no different than
me giving my software away to each computer it is not licensed to run on.

I, myself, get p.o.ed when Microsoft puts out a new "version" of
Money 200x each year only to find there are no differences at all,
and the Standard/Deluxe/Business versions keep moving features to the
higher version while removing them from the lower versions, a few
features each year.  Don't believe me?  Check the back of the boxes
and you'll see it in a chart as clear as daylight.  I've watched this
since 2002.  How evil is that, yet we all just go with the flow,
study the box and feature list for a while, then decide to purchase
anyway, KNOWING that nobody twisted our arms at all, AND you will
NEVER see the Agreement until you install the software or attempt
to.  Good luck on getting a quick refund or one at all, with any
software out there.

If I gave refunds to one, two, three, or 75 people who purchased any
of my software, without question or attempt to change their mind, I
would be in the business of giving it all away because all you would
have to do is install, purchase a key, report that the key does not
work, demand a refund, then keep using the software because 1) the
keys work, guaranteed, and 2) you hacked the title anyway, before or
after the dispute.  At this time, no refund was possible no matter
what my policy was, and there exists a possibilty that the method
used to hack my title would leak.

So, you got even I suppose by giving yourself a copy of my software
that would run on any Windows PC.  So, with that being known, I wrote
you off as Case Closed but I never thought of you as an enemy.  If
anything you caused me to create a hack-proof registration scheme for
future versions of my software, and caused all prior customers to
have to request a new key and prove who they are when they upgrade to
a higher version of Rainbow.

All in all, I was willing to forget about the whole incident as both
of us have been so silent about it for so long, but now it appears
the topic might linger even longer.

--
Roger Taylor