[Coco] Legal to put ALL Coco software (and other obsolete micros) up for download?

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 1 12:20:05 EST 2006

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:10:33 -0600, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz
<dennis-iii at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> At 11:07 AM 12/1/06 -0600, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/01/internet_archive_copyright_reprieve/
>> Mentions that the Internet archive is allowed to put up for download
>> anything running a machine which is no longer manufactured and that the
>> media is not easy to get (5&1/4" disks, anyone?). If my interpretation
>> is
>> correct, then it should be legal to put all software up, yes?
>
> If I read this correctly the other day, it appeared to be a singular
> exemption for website content that had disappeared. The copyright office
> held hearings last year on orphan works, but I haven't seen a more
> general
> document yet.

     The quote that got me excited was this:
"Thanks to the hard work of two great law school students of Peter Jaszi
of American University, Jieun Kim and Doug Agopsowicz, the Internet
Archive and other libraries may continue to preserve software and video
game titles without fear of going to jail," said a statement from the
Internet Archive.

When it says "other libraries", would some of our preservation websites
(for any obsolete computer) be considered as such? The complete text in
PDF form is available here:
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/docs/1201_recommendation.pdf

--
L. Curtis Boyle