[Coco] CoCo3 questions / Cloud 9 Super IDE interface

Steve.Lancaster at Moorestephens.com Steve.Lancaster at Moorestephens.com
Wed Dec 6 10:19:24 EST 2006

Hello all

I am a UK based Dragon 32 owner. I have found out more and more about the
CoCos (partially Dragon compatible) and am looking to get a CoCo 3 (a 512k
model from Cloud 9 appears to be a good starting point).

I have seen on the Cloud 9 website the Super IDE interface and the idea
that you can use a CF card with it greatly appeals to me. Before I make
the investment and buy one, seeing as I am new to the CoCos, is there
anybody out there who has used one or owns one and can they comment
generally if they are easy to use and a worthwhile purchase.

As regards the CoCo itself:

1) Is a floppy drive necessary for a CoCo? - I ask because 5.25 inch disks
are hard to source and although I have a 5.25 floppy drive (that I use on
a BBC Master computer) I'm not sure if it is CoCo compatible.
2) Does anybody know if the RF/AV outputs will work in the UK (although I
have an NTSC compatible TV)

Going back to the Super IDE does anybody know if it is possible to
transfer .dsk images to the CF card by drag and drop (on a PC with a card
reader) or does the transfer have to be done using a CoCo emulator or a
utility like Omniflop.

Obviously I don't want to buy something and then find I don't have the
knowledge or skills to use it.

Any general advice or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Steve

MOORE STEPHENS
Accountants and Business Advisors
6 Ridge House, Ridgehouse Drive, Festival Park, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 5TL
Tel: 01782 201120, Fax: 01782 201599
Web: http://www.moorestephens.co.uk
A member firm of Moore Stephens International Limited - members in principal cities throughout the world.
Registered to carry on audit work and regulated for a range of investment business activities by
the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
They may contain legally privileged information, and may not be disclosed
to anyone else. If you have received this email in error please notify
postmaster at moorestephens.com and delete all copies from your system.