[Coco] high density floppy controller mods

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Aug 4 09:08:37 EDT 2006

On 3 Aug 2006 at 22:41, Roger Merchberger wrote:

> Well, if you're going to add that qualification, I doubt James was
> referring to a magnetic-based optical drive! Altho they do exist - I have
> an MO (magneto-optical) drive on my desk at work. AFAIK, the media isn't
> magnetic, but it requires a strong magnetic field to change the phase
> (i.e. write) the data to the media.

I was not considering magneto optical drives. Floopy disk as well as hard
drives use an analog signal to encode data on the disk by aligning the
magnetic material is a pattern determined by the frequency of the applied
signal.

Even digital signals that are bounded can be described as a series of
sinusoidal signals. Thus any digital signal is described by some Fourier
Series with properly weighted coefficients.

james