[Coco] [Color Computer] Pace Project

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Apr 13 09:01:41 EDT 2006

James

I have talked with Mark via email a coupleof times and yes he is progressing quite
well. The 6809 CPU core is from John Kent, the same one I am looking at. There
are already FREE CPU cores on the open market for the 8080, Z80, 6502, 6800,
and a few other of the older 8 bit CPUs. Some need a bit of massaging to work in a
particular FPGA. Most will run at least four or five times faster than the original
silicon.

The hardest part of putting a Coco, 1, 2 or 3, in an FPGA is to look at the data
sheets and from them reverse engineer or create logic that the mimics the internal
workings of the other ASIC chips.

james